7.12.2011

“God asks no man whether he will accept life. That is not the choice. You must take it. The only choice is how.” - Henry Ward Beecher

Not a huge presence in American History books, nevertheless I am a big big fan of Henry Ward Beecher, scandal or no. Maybe it was the scandal that keeps him out of our history books, maybe it was the fact that as a preacher we need to keep him out of our history books…and I’m not baiting any “separation of church and state” arguments here…it is what it is…what I like to label “faith-ist”. ;p

I just find it absolutely fascinating that someone can go from being one of THE MOST FAMOUS MEN IN AMERICA to a whisper of a shadow in 100 years.

Top reasons to like this guy?

He was an abolitionist – one of his greatest stunts was bringing a 9 year old slave girl from Virginia to New York to “sell her into freedom” he auctioned her off during a church service, not only raising the $900 her freedom cost, but also $1100 to educate her.

He was a Darwinist – isn’t thaaat interesting? Sometimes I feel like I am the only one in the world who remembers that Darwin was a Christian. Just a second while I climb down from my soapbox.

He was Harriet’s brother – you know, of “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” fame?

This may be a stretch, but I personally believe he may even have been the inspiration behind our present day philosophy of “audience of one”. He once was quoted saying “I would rather speak the truth to ten men than blandishments and lying to a million. Try it, ye who think there is nothing in it! Try what it is to speak with God behind you,--to speak so as to be only the arrow in the bow which the Almighty draws.” See, this was a time when, if you were a good orator, you could be a celebrity. People were into attending seminars and listening to lectures en masse. He chose to talk about being true to God, freeing the slave, and oh yes…suffrage.

That’s my rant for the day…if you are interested in more on (the other) Beecher there is a book if you can get your hands on a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment